Carpet Beetles are shiny black in color and have brownish legs that are covered with short hairs.
Get A Free Quote
We are affordable Pest Control Service in GTA & Surroundings Areas.
What are carpet beetles and what do they do?
Carpet beetles are small, oval-shaped insects. These tiny creatures have six to 12 months of lifespan and can be found in homes, museums, and warehouses. They feed on organic materials such as wool, silk, feathers, hair, dead insects, and pet fur.
Carpet beetles are not harmful to humans but can cause significant damage to household items. The larvae of carpet beetles are particularly destructive as they feed on natural fibers like carpets and clothing. If left untreated for too long, carpet beetle infestations can cause severe damage to fabrics and other household items.
your home and belongings from potential threats by addressing carpet beetles, furniture beetles, and cigarette beetles with our expert pest control strategies, ensuring a pest-free and well-maintained living space.
Where do carpet beetles live?
Carpet beetles are common household pests that can cause significant damage to natural fibers such as wool, silk, and fur. They are small oval-shaped insects with a distinctive pattern on their wings. Carpet beetles live in various environments, including homes, museums, warehouses, and other places where organic materials are stored.
In homes, carpet beetles can live in carpets or rugs made from natural fibers. They may also inhabit closets or storage areas where woolen clothing is kept. In addition to natural fibers, carpet beetles can feed on other organic materials like feathers, pet hair or even dead insects.
Carpet beetle larvae prefer to live in dark and undisturbed areas such as attics and basements, but they can also be found hiding under furniture or inside upholstered items. Adult carpet beetles usually fly toward light sources, so that you may find them near windowsills during the day.
How do carpet beetles spread disease?
Carpet beetles are not known to spread diseases directly to humans. However, they can still pose a threat to human health indirectly. Carpet beetles feed on natural fibers such as wool, fur, and feathers commonly found in carpets, furniture upholstery, and clothing. The debris left behind by these insects, including their feces and shed skin, contain allergens that can trigger asthma or other respiratory problems.
Furthermore, the larvae of carpet beetles have sharp hairs that can cause skin irritation and rashes when in contact with human skin. People who are sensitive or allergic to insect bites may develop severe reactions from these hairs. Hence it is important to vacuum carpets regularly and clean dusty areas in homes where carpet beetles may thrive.
Residential Pest Control Service
Customized pest control treatments can be used to safeguard your living space against bothersome pests and ensure that they don’t become a nuisance in your home.
What to do if you find carpet beetles: How to get rid of them
You may wonder what to do if you have a carpet beetle infestation. Here are some tips on how to get rid of carpet beetles:
- First, identify the source of the beetles. Carpet beetles like to infest areas with lots of moisture and food. Look for areas where there is water or mold on the floor, where pets or children play, or where there is a lot of organic material (like leaves or food scraps).
- Once you know where the beetles are, seal off the area with a layer of plastic wrap. This will prevent the beetles from spreading to other areas.
- Next, spray the area with an insecticide labeled for carpet beetle. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- After the spray has been applied, please wait until it has dried before entering the area. This will help prevent the beetles from spreading.
- Once the beetles have been killed, vacuum the area clean. Be sure to remove all the debris, including any dead beetles.
- Once the area is clean, treat it with a repellent spray. This will help keep the beetles away in the future.
If you’ve been unable to get rid of your carpet beetle infestation on your own, call ACME Pest Solutions. Our professionals have the experience and tools to get rid of these pests swiftly and effectively.